Friday, 9 November 2012

Funny how you can live your whole life believing a lie


Who was it that said we believe what we want to believe Demosthenes I believe but I might be mistaken although I’m surely not lying because I gave a rider to the statement which isn’t what you normally get with lies which must mean there are clues to when lies are being told quite apart from the James Bondish ideas of lie detectors and such like the best lie detector I ever knew was my wife but then again I’m no great shakes at telling porkies downright fables or even white lies never have been must’ve been my Christian upbringing God will know as he’s omnipresent omnipotent ubiquitous they say so why’d I have to go to confession then Ma I asked one day now that could be a lie depending on my age at the time you know but anyhow it’s still a good question maybe it was just to satisfy the prurient curiosity of the Priest ‘cos you know what Priests are like don’t you nothing better to do than drag out all of our little secrets designed to make us feel guilty well I tell you I didn’t feel guilty at the time and nor did she and come to think of it I’m certainly not guilty now apart from being guilty of telling the odd whopper mind but just for fun a recreational activity you understand unlike the lies our politicians tell on a daily basis or is that just being economical with the truth is that a lie or the absence of a lie which must therefore be the same as the absence of truth I’d like a little more truth around here that’s for sure but then perhaps life would be too boring and writers of stories and tales and scripts and plays would soon run out of material don’t you think I’m sure you agree take your Napoleon for example he told the French they were the master race just like Hister or whatever Nostradamus called him and both lied but both gave it a go didn’t they and plenty more since and beforehand too like maybe the Trojans and the bloody Normans and maybe they were masters for a while but all things come to pass and that’s the end of that so it goes as Kurt used to say but it doesn’t go really it comes around after it goes around and there’s one lie that’s been going around for centuries based on a second coming around but I wouldn’t wait up for that if I were you there’s been plenty of false dawns on that score and a couple even this year so far and one more to come if you subscribe to that Mayan calendar bollocks so yeah it’s not even a case of believing it if I see it that’s just a figure of speech and if anyone really believes all that bullshit they deserve to become a figure of fun it’s funny how some folks can live their whole lives believing a lie but it’s only because they believe what they want to believe.

For Kellie Elmore's Free Word Friday; here's the link.

2 comments: